Monday, October 23, 2006

Touchy feely . . . . .




Ive been doing lots of research on Braille,
amazing things Ive learnt about Braille ...
1) It only comes in one size!
2) Its either printed on white card or coloured card. Many blind people can slightly see and appreciate coloured card.
3) Magzines are not published in Braille with confusing templates; text boxes here and pictures there, its written straight forwardly line after line, otherwise things get very complicated.
4) Pictures are not very often seen in Braille publications. If they are they either hace a raised edge or they are just blown up really big because alot of people who read Braille are partially sighted.

Ive been experimenting with touch and texture and tactile text........... see sketch book pages.
I spent ages trying to find somewhere where I could see some Braille books, and use a Braille typewriter but it seemed to be alot harder than I thought! I did contact the NLB (National Library for the Blind) and they got back to me very quickly and offered to send me a Braille alphabet card, which they did! But that was as far as I was getting!

My mum is my hero, she saved my project! She phoned up an friend who she hasnt seen for ages, and her daughter answered. My mum knew that she worked with specail needs students at college, so thought she just might ask her about it, and it turns out that she works with blind children! She can read Braille from sight and has access to a Braille computer and typewriter!
I COULDNT BELIEVE MY LUCK! So I phoned her and we talked Braille for a while. She suggested the best way to print it is from the computer where you type out a word document and it prints it out in Braille! wow!
Apparently the typewriter takes ages, and she couldnt get it to me until Monday night, which is a bit late coz we gotta hand it in on Tuesday!
Im going to print one in the Screen template style and one how a Braille publication would actually be layed-out. I dont think the fist one is gonna come out very well but I might aswell try and see how the computer deals with it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home